Day Four of ‘Theodora Hendrix’s Monstrous Halloween Bash’ brings a special trick…or TREAT! Author Jordan Kopy shares a quick recipe for a monstrously delicious dinner…MONSTER BURGERS! These quick but tasty cheeseburgers are a favorite of the inhabitants of the MLM mansion (especially Sylvester, that naughty werewolf cub).
Recipe: Monster Burgers
Servings: 4 large cheeseburgers
- 4 beef burgers (can substitute veggie burgers)
- 4 burger buns
- 4 leaves of baby gem or romaine lettuce
- 4 slices of mature cheddar cheese
- 4 roasted red peppers
- 8 large tomato slices (optional)
- 4 slices of red onion (optional)
- 8 large olives, stuffed with pimento or feta
- 4 TBS vegetable oil
- 8 TBS of full-fat mayonnaise
- 4 TBS of ketchup
- 2 TBS of Dijon mustard
- 1 TBS of sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cast iron skillet (large)
- Butter knife
- Plates for serving
- Prep: Clean lettuce. Slice red onions and tomatoes (taking care to add salt and pepper to the latter). With a pair of kitchen shears, cut triangles into 1 side of each piece of cheese.
- Special Monster Burger Sauce: in a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and sugar until fully combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Burgers: generously season beef patties with salt and pepper. Allow to rest for a half hour prior to cooking so that meat is at room temperature. Heat vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat until the oil begins to shimmer and a drop of water sizzles in the pan. Arrange beef patties in the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes (2 for medium rare, 3 for medium). Flip beef patties and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat. Set aside. For veggie burgers, cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Monster Eyes: Stick 8 large green olives onto 8 toothpicks
- Assembly: Cut each burger bun in half and toast in toaster or oven. Spread 1 TBS of Special Monster Burger Sauce on the the base of the bun. Layer 1 piece of lettuce, burger, tomato, and red onion on the bun. Top with a slice of cheese and 1 red pepper, sticking it to one side to resemble a tongue. Spread 1 TBS of the Special Monster Burger Sauce at the edge of the cheese. Top with remaining bun half. Stick Monster Eyes into the top of the bun.
NOTE: This recipe was adapted from www.happyfoodstube.com